|TOPICS: Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act
Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability(PAPER 2)
- Is the manifesto released by the political party hold any significance or it has totally become a hoax? Comment .
The political parties releases their manifesto before the election .These are there written statement of promises and the vision of concerned political party if they are elected to the power.
Relevance of manifesto
- Manifesto reflects the ideology of the political parties and its commitment to work for the development of society and the country
- These promises made in the manifesto make the political party accountable to voters after the election
- It also gives the voters a direction for voting to the political party which can fulfill their aspirations
- in survey it was found that only in a few states like the Tamil Nadu and the Kerala, people read the manifesto and the voting pattern is decided by the manifesto of political parties .
Political manifesto: is it a hoax ?
- Over the time it has been observed that the political Manifesto has proven to be unfulfilled promise of the political parties
- It includes freebies and sops to attract the voters in their rings.
- Even the small Regional parties having a little regional influencers promises the national issue like extending the limit of reservation which is not possible even if they win the Limited seats. nevertheless it fuels the casteism in the election
- The Other promises like the farmer loan waiver, direct money in the account as proposed by the party like the Congress and TDP is just a type of the legal bribe which is used as cash for vote.
- Now a days the manifesto has become a tool to bypass the model code of conduct for the political parties which cannot announce or unveil the new schemes during the model code of conduct
- In case of the coalition government the manifesto of the small political parties held a little significance as it is totally overshadowed by the big political parties
The way forward
The Judiciary or the election commission should step forward for making the manifesto transparent and accountable. A Scrutiny committee should be formed for the regional and the national party for checking out the viability of the promises made in manifesto.
Not only this the committee should also give an account of the previously fulfilled promises which has been inculcated in the manifesto of political party .The amendment should be made in the RPA act,1951 to give teeth to the committee.
Source :The hindu , https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/blinkers-on/article26785446.ece
The indian express, the times of india
|Topic : Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers.(PAPER 3)|
2.Explaining the reason for rural economic crisis ,suggest the ways to address the problem.
The agriculture sector which give employment to around 55 % of population but account to only about 17-18% contribution in the GDP of the country with a growth rate of around 5%. The whole budget of the country depends upon monsoon so it is sarcastically referred as chief finance minister of the country.
Factors responsible for rural economic crisis:
- It has been predicted that this year is going to witness less than the normal rainfall due to EL-Nino effect and negative Indian ocean dipole
- As around 60 % of the net sown area comes under the rainfed agriculture ,below the normal monsoon is going to affect mostly Kharif crops.
- But what makes this a point of great distress for the rural economy is the double whammy. First, farmers lost crops and income from agriculture to consecutive droughts. Second, when they looked for alternative option of livelihoods, there was not much to take up.
- The average growth rate for farm sector wages nearly halved between 2016-17 and 2018-19. Those who want to make up for this dip can’t find options. For example MGNREGA has been able to offer only 38 days of employment per household in 2018-19 — a significant drop from 45.8 days in 2017-18.
- Farmers are not getting a reasonable price for their produce.
The way forward :
It disrupts the grand promise to double the farmer income by 2022.The budget has tried to address the issue by implementing a programme named as PM KISHAN yojna , which can provide only a momentary benefit to the farmer.
The holistic approach adopted in Orissa government’s KALIA(Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income Augmentation) scheme is the need of hour which not only address the distress of the farmers but also support their livelihood.
Their haats and Mandis should be connected with National agriculture market (NAM) so that they get a remunerative price of their produce.
In an area prone to drought , allied activities like livestock ranching ,poultry, etc. should be encouraged to have alternative income.
| Declaration of Drought in India
In India, the State governments are the final authority to declare a region as a region affected by drought. The Union government has recommended four standard monitoring tools when declaring a region as drought affected. However, these guidelines are not binding on the state governments. The four parameters are:
· Rainfall deficiency
· The extent of area sown
· Normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI)
· Moisture adequacy index